Monday 13 May 2013

Friday 10th May 2013 - Loading the Composter

Hopefully I mentioned the purchase of the Draper 180L Compost Tumbler.  It will reportedly return quality compost in two months.  I got three breeze blocks to extend the concrete of the back yard a wee bit and the composter sits nicely on it.

On Friday 10th May I loaded it up with 1 part of green (nitrogen plant waste) to 3 parts brown (carbon waster - shredded cardboard, chopped straw).  I added a shovel full of soil as I've read this is good to start it off and a bit of water.  The idea is to rotate it for a minute every other day so did that for first time on Sunday 12th May.   The chopped straw my lad got for me.  The veg peelings came from the kitchen at work (one day's worth were pretty much all I needed!!).  The cardboard I shredded at work.



No comments:

Post a Comment